Sunday, November 7, 2010

Behold the Power of Phlegm


Which came first? The cold or the chicken soup?
It's not (say that real fast and you'll know what I'm dealing with) been a very productive weekend as both Sterling and I have been suffering with head colds. I used up my "extra" hour of sleep already this morning, and even after my first cup of joe (with a touch of Baileys Irish Cream) my head is still in a fog. And I haven't had any cardmaking mojo this week either, which is really the test for how I'm feeling.
We did slip away for a bit yesterday morning to see my grandson at his swimming lessons. They started him three weeks ago. First lesson he pretty much wanted nothing to do with this foreign concept of a large bathtub and getting water in his face. Second time was a little better as he realized everyone else in his class had to take a large bath too. And this time he actually willingly got right into the water and allowed his head to be taken under, although he complained of the water in his eyes. He wouldn't let them put the goggles on him, but that's another hurdle for the next time. He did, however, LOVE going down the slide, as long as he had a toy on the journey with him. His favorite was a big yellow school bus that the instructor used to tempt him into the water and she would toss it to where he had to swim with her in order to retrieve it (smart teacher!) And through all three lessons that is his security water toy and he doesn't let go of it willingly. All in all, he's doing swimmingly!
And it's November! Yeah, I know, I'm a few days behind - that's what a fog I've been in. That means only seven more weeks until CHRISTMAS! But I'm NOT ready ... are you? Last year I swore that this year would be different. That I would have all of my holiday cards done by July, and that I would MAKE all of my gifts this year starting in February, and that I would save dollars throughout the year so that shopping would be a breeze! (buzzer) Wrong. I didn't even accomplish one out of three. Does anyone have a name for the phenomenom? Can anyone tell me if I even spelled phenomenom correctly? Does anybody really know what time it is (queue song by Chicago).
About now about phlegm - what was God thinking when he created this? The amount I've produced this weekend could hold several bricks together. But that's probably more information that you want to hear. Phlegm is actually good for you. Well, not the thing itself, but what it represents. Phlegm is mucous that becomes congealed and visible. It's almost always a sign of your body fighting off whatever infection is wreaking havoc on your respiratory system - which is actually a good thing. Phlegm is primarily composed of mucous, dead bacteria and virus, dead white blood cells, and various tissues and cells. So now if you're ever asked what phlegm is, you have your answer. I never knew my blog would be a place for answers to health questions, but there you have it.
It's supposed to be a beautiful fall day today with a high of possibly 70 degrees! And the Huskers won in Ames, Iowa yesterday so everyone is in good spirits. But for me, my adventure today will be to complete a load of laundry and sneeze through a box of kleenex. Hope everyone else has a fabulous day!