Thursday, May 10, 2012

Me Oh My, I Love Pie !!

It's strawberry season and the MOST requested recipe around our house is Strawberry Pie! 

Pinned Image


I have a recipe that was given to me by my children's grandmother, Kay Rosenthal.  And I have yet to find any other recipe that can compare.  And don't cheat and use a boughten crust.  This crust is so flakey and delish and you seriously can't mess it up!

Several years ago I made my daughter and daughter-in-law family recipe albums as a holiday gift.  Here's the page I made featuring Kay's winning recipe.


You can click on the image to get a large view of the recipe, but here it is below for your convenience.  Go ahead and make it this weekend ... you  know you want to !!

CRUST:

2 cups flour
1 cup Crisco
1 tablespoon sugar
dash of salt
5 tablespoons ICE water

Prepare crust by blending all ingreidents with pastry blender and roll out for a 9-inch crust (prick crust with fork before baking).  Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes or until thoroughly cooked and lightly browned.  Cool completely.

FILLING:

1 cup sugar
1 cup water
3 tablespoons strawberry jello
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1+ quarts fresh strawberries (enough to fill 9 inch pie crust)

Mix sugar and cornstarch.  Add water.  Cook until thickened and clear.  Add jello to mixture and stir until dissolved.  Cool. 

Fill cooled crust with washed, stemmed and hulled berries.  Pour gelatin mixture over fruit.  Chill until set (approximately 5 hours).  Garnish with FRESH whipped cream.


No comments: