Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Working Mom's Cinnamon Rolls

We had my daughter over for dinner last night ... although it was actually breakfast foods that we served. I made some soft scrambled eggs, grilled up a thick ham slice and then made "cinnamon buns". My grandmother always made these for me when I spent the night - she was a FIRM believer in not letting anything go to waste. My kids grew up on them as well as I always seemed to have leftover buns and these treats were SO quick and easy to throw together for them in the morning before school. It's the easiest thing to make and the essence of comfort food. This photo was the ONLY one I could find on the internet that came close to what they look like. They are made with leftover hamburger or hot dog buns ... either works just as well. You just slather the buns with real butter, sprinkle a good portion of brown sugar on top and then generously sprinkle with cinnamon. Put these under the broiler for about three to five minutes. You can tell when they are done as the brown sugar will melt into the butter. Don't let them stay under the fire too long or the topping will get too "crunchy". Just watch them closely and once the butter has melted nicely with the brown sugar pull them out and enjoy.



1 comment:

Hedgehog Reader said...

Yum!
What a frugal and delicious idea! :o)