Friday, March 8, 2013

Chicken Curry

Growing up in the 50's and 60's, I can honestly say that the closest thing we ever got to spice was table salt and pepper.  I had no idea there was such a thing as "ethnic" food.  It wasn't until the late 60's when I had my first taco from Taco Bell - yep - thought I was experiencing a true international cullinary delight.  And since then it's only been in the last 10 years or so that I've really began to try things outside my mother's pot roast comfort zone.  I've discovered that I love the flavor of curry.  Here's a relatively quick and simply recipe that you can make at home without needing a bazzilion different spices.





India Chicken Curry

1/2 cup finely chopped onion (about one medium)
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
2 Tablespoons butter
3 Tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon (more or less) curry powder
1-1/2 cups chicen broth
1 tsp. worcestershire sauce
1-1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken
1/2 cup tomato juice (I use V-8)
2 cups hot cooked rice
scallions

Cook onion and celery in butter until tender.  Stir in flour and curry powder and cook for one minute. Add chicken broth and worcestershire sauce.  Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.  Stir in the cooked chicken and tomato juice.  Heat through.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Serve over hot rice and add chopped scallions or green onion if desired.

No comments: