Wednesday, November 3, 2010

I Want A Hug


So last night my daughter and grandson came over for their weekly "dinner at mom's", which gives my son-in-law, Jeremy, time at home to do his homework and other chores. I do so love Tuesday nights as it gives me a chance to not only bond with my daughter, but quality one on one time with my grandson, Jonas. So the door opens and Jonas runs in to the living room and smiling he stops and announces "I'm here!". That just had grandpa and I in a fit of giggles right from the start. How does he know that our world revolves around him already? He then proceeds to tell us about his day. He told us that he went to church and that he "voted" and got a sticker. It was only a few short months ago that he was just beginning to stringing words together and now he's not only talking in full sentences, but understanding concepts as well. Laura said that at the dinner table the other night, she and Jeremy were chatting and the weather channel was playing on the t.v. in the background. All of a sudden Jonas spoke up and smiling he said "He's talking about sunshine" referring to the weatherman on t.v. Laura and Jeremy just shook their heads in wonder trying to figure out how he picked up on something like that.
So we sit down to dinner and Jonas looks over at grandpa, who is wearing a baseball cap and says "Grandpa, hat off." Laura and Jeremy are teaching Jonas all about manners and he makes sure that everyone follows the rules. After dinner I went over and sat on the couch and Jonas gets up and says he wants to sit next to grandma, which of course is what every grandma wants to hear. And then, out of the blue, he looks straight at me and says ... "I need a hug" ... well melt my heart and call me done. This is love in its purest form coming from a 2-1/2 year old. How could I know that this one simple statement could be so powerful. Forget that I have bills that I can't pay, clothes than need washing, dust bunnies building armies under my bed ... I have a grandson who loves me unconditionally. I am still riding on this emotional "high" and had to share it with all of you. So my wish for all of you today is that you be lucky enough to receive a hug from someone you love - or better yet, go and give someone you love a hug and see the love shine back at you in their eyes.