Sunday, December 4, 2011

Happy Birthday Steven!


It's my nephew, Steven's, birthday celebration with family today.  We're having the party at our house since we have room for everyone to spread out and relax, and for the kids to run around without bumping into everybody.  So this morning I made my FAVORITE blueberry muffin recipe AND I tried a recipe I've been wanting to make for a LONG time.  We always frequent Stephenson's Apple Farm in Kansas City whenever we make the 3 hour trip down. They have THE BEST apple fritters, bar none. And don't even get me started on their creamed chicken dish and green rice.  Oh my ... not for the faint of heart (or anyone eating healthy). But if you want to splurge on calories, this is the place to do it.

Here's their recipe for fresh apple fritters (makes 40 fritters):

1 cup milk
1 egg (beaten)
4 tbsp butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 orange, rind and juice
1 cup applies (chopped fine)
3 cups flour
2 tsps baking powder
1 tsp vanilla.

Beat egg.  In mixing bowl, combine with milk, egg, melted butter and sugar.  Add the orange juice, rind, chopped appplies and vanilla.  Sift together the flower, salt and baking powder.  Stir into wet mixture with spoon until blended. Do NOT over mix.  Preheat oil in a skillent to 350 degrees. Drop off end of tablespoon into hot oil. Fry to a golden brown, turning so they brown even.  Allow to cool.  Roll in powdered sugar.

I added a tsp. of cinnamon to the batter, and I also added 3 tsp. of cinnamon to the powdered sugar. 

Just one word ... YUM  !!!



1 comment:

Gloria said...

Steven is so much fun and so full of energy :)

Mom and I thought your little gingerbread sign was so cute!

The treats were delightful!