Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Soup Weather Is Almost Here! Time for Hamburger Soup!

I have SO many cookbooks, including two LARGE 3-ring binders of "favorite" recipes ... some that I'll never use again, some that I've never even tried, but all have been sitting in these binders for years. My fall project is to filter through these recipes, keeping only those that I think I will actually make in the next ten years and then saving them on my blog and/or pinterest boards, where I have instant access whenever I want that recipe again.  Of course, I have ONE cookbook at home that has my ABSOLUTE favorite recipes that I use over and over again, and that might become just a bit thicker when all this is said and done, but for the most part my main focus is to PURGE.

But here's a recipe that I make several times when fall weather hits.  It's my daughter's FAVORITE soup recipe, so it is a keeper for sure.


HAMBURGER SOUP




1 pound extra lean ground beef (or I actually use ground turkey)
1 medium onion, chopped
4 red potatoes, washed but unpeeled, cut into cubes (2 cups)
1 can diced tomatoes, undrained 
6 cans beef broth
2 TBSP beef bouillion
1 tsp. dried basil leaves
1 tsp. dried thyme leaves
1 tsp. pepper
3/4 cup catsup
1 pkg. frozen mixed vegetables (any assortment you like)


Combine ground beef and onion in large stock pot cooking over medium heat until beef is browned and thoroughly cooked, stirring frequently.  Drain well.  Add all remaining ingredients to stock pot except frozen vegetables.  Mix well.  Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat, cover and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occassionally.  Add frozen vegetables.  Cover and simmer an additional 10 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.  Makes 8 servings.  Serve with large loaf of crusty warm bread.

ENJOY!!!

1 comment:

Gloria said...

This is a great recipe!

I started purging a few months ago. Threw out a bunch of those that I thought I would try and years later I never have so ... out they went.