Tuesday, June 28, 2011

It's an Ox of a Holiday Today

Today is Paul Bunyun day!!

In western folklore, there is one story that’s the tallest tale of them all: the story of 30 foot tall lumberjack Paul Bunyan and his beloved companion, Babe, the Blue Ox!






Paul Bunyan possessed skills and speed that far exceeded those of a normal human and because of this he is a commonly celebrated folk hero in the northern states (Wisconsin, Minnesota, the Dakotas, etc); however, there is one day of the year when the whole nation celebrates this mythical American figure. That day is today’s zany holiday, National Paul Bunyan Day!

Today’s outrageous holiday’s wackiness is matched only by the outrageous Paul Bunyan stories:

Paul cleared the path to the Pacific Ocean

Babe’s hooves created the 10,000 lakes of Minnesota

Paul Bunyan dug Lake Michigan

... and he ate 50 pancakes in under a minute, just to name a few!





Celebrate Paul Bunyan day by cooking pancakes for dinner, and then having a contest to see who can eat the most in a minute!

However, I wouldn’t recommend painting any of your pets blue in honor of Babe.




and here's Smurf Dog ...




Have fun and THINK BIG!!!

3 comments:

Jingle said...

My dogs were weirded out when I dyed MY hair blue over the weekend...I think if I did it to them that would officially make them sure I am crazy! HA!

Tami B. said...

Paul Bunyan was one of my favorite story books I had when I was a little girl. (I didn't know he had his own holiday tho'.)

Bonnie Lynn said...

I had no idea there was a national holiday for Paul Bunyan. Learn something new every day. I definitely grew up hearing Paul Bunyan stories.